GOOGLE: WE CELEBRATE ITS ANNIVERSARY BY COUNTING ITS CURIOSITIES
Today September 27th is Google’s anniversary, 20 years being the most used digital platform worldwide, in today’s article, we will talk about its process and tell a series of curiosities that surely you did not know.
To begin with, it is worth mentioning that Google started in a garage and today, it is a technological giant, as it is considered the search engine par excellence preferred by all.
Today Google is celebrating its anniversary and many things have changed since its inception in 1998, so we will tell you about its evolutions and one or two curious facts that will surely leave you with your mouth open, take a look below!
- Very few people know this fact, and it is that the first name of Google, before being known as it is today, was Backrub.
- Its creators Larry Page and Sergey Brin started the company in their respective bedrooms, and after a while, together they set up their first office in a garage.
- Page and Brin wanted to call their search engine googol (googol), a term that represents a number, as it is the name given to 10 raised to 100, its founders wanted to refer to the huge amount of data that would be indexed and accessible from their product. Finally, a typing error caused it to stay at Google.
- Craig Silverstein became Google’s first employee when he was hired in September 1998.
- During its early days, specifically in its first year, Google had only 16 employees, today, it has more than 60,000 employees in 50 different countries.
- Google in general has created more than 2,000 doodles for its main pages around the world, and something you probably didn’t know is that Google users can send their doodle proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Through Google.org, the company allocates $100 million annually to develop ideas that have a big impact on communities.
- Office workGoogle is too flexible, so much so that if an employee wants to work 16 hours one day to skip the next, he or she can do so.
- The founders not only registered the domain Google.com, but for those who are a bit clumsy with the keyboard, they also enabled similar names, so that if you search for com and gooogle.com, you will also go directly to the real page, google.com. Something very smart on their part!
- Google takes its role in contributing to the environment very seriously, bicycles, solar panels, recycled carpets and free public transportation for its employees are just some of the company’s green practices.
What started 20 years ago as a garage project in California, USA, has now become the third largest company in the world after Apple and Amazon, with a stock market value of 700 billion euros, which is equivalent to the size of Turkey’s economy.
For its evolution, its process and commitment to users, we wish Google a happy anniversary!